Thursday, September 17

quick story

Hey Y'all. I want to share a quick story with everyone . I thought this was very interesting. In Hong Kong, as well as in many other Asian countries, there exists a strict system of respect towards elders. Especially towards ones, parents. There is a teacher at school whose name is Ms.Chui, she recently lost her father. He pasted away several weeks ago, even before my arrival to Hong Kong. Her attitude at school has been very cold, and i found her to be the most difficult teacher to interact with.
Normally when i arrive, all of the teachers will smile and warmly greet me. But, not her. Today was different, she spoke... She apologized for her cold demeanor towards me, and the other teachers. I had asked the another teacher, whom I'm close with, about this woman's cold attitude. I received no real explanation. . . As it turns out, Ms. Chui has been following a very old, well respected, Chinese tradition. She is in mourning. In her culture, which is common here in Hong Kong, when a loved on passes away, the family will become quite and behave in a very introverted manor. This time, is supposed to be for peace, and give those who have lost a loved one a chance to reflect on their own lives. Ms. Chui will remain to be 'quite' for the next week, then the family will celebrate, and their normal personalities may come back out.

I was astounded at this level of discipline, and i wanted to share that with everyone. As she put it, "ill be normal soon"

In other news, ice skating was awesome, i DID NOT fall, and SB displayed her Rockbridge talents on an international stage. Love Yall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We read each one and love hearing from home!