Monday, May 3

Yesterday, I was visiting the Tian Tan Buddha, and finally took time to photograph one of Asia's more unique customs... Incense. Before you tell me that most churches use this, let me tell you this. More of this is burned in Southeast Asia than anywhere else on the planet. Most of it is used as a sign of respect for Buddha. The smoke itself can either carry your message to The Buddha, or it can convey your thoughts to deceased relatives. The coils of incense can make quite a sight, and can completely overtake your senses; especially the ole nose. As i snapped photos i found myself watching the woman whose job it was to maintain the Temple. All i could think was: I'm glad that its her job and not mine. At the Tian Tan Temple an estimated 2000 sticks are burned per hour, leaving the remnants to be disposed of...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We read each one and love hearing from home!