Monday, July 5

Happy Handover!

Thursday was a public holiday recognizing the British handing over Hong Kong to the Chinese in '97. Liza and I sought out TC2 in Mong Kok, a gem of a coffee shop in the midst of what Guinness calls the most densely populated neighborhood in the world. In the middle of the putrid smells and beating sun, the red sliding doors beckon you into the air conditioned room with handmade jewelry for sale and a loft with local photographers art on the walls. Fish and chips with green curry sauce, a seafood soup, and hazelnut latte for $56 HKD! Grossly mismatched flavors, I know, but you can't beat it. (160 Portland St for those in town) Saved half my meal to eat the following day at school, and then Saturday took Tripp before playgroup. So yeah... three TC2 lunches in a row.
 
Posted by Picasa

That afternoon Tripp and I had been planning on doing some knockoff shopping in the mainland, but it was the hottest day of the year thus far, so we headed to Pui O beach instead. This was our first time to this remote beach surrounded by cliffs and jungle, and it certainly did not feel like you are in Hong Kong. It took a solid two hours to reach but was well worth it! We trekked around with wild water buffalo! We found a beachfront restaurant I had heard great reviews about and it was filled with Westerners enjoying the long beach and relaxing from the stress of the city. Even our waitresses were Western! That's an absolute first! I realize my blog posts are solely about meals, but what better way to really understand a place, right?

Ooh La La! was amazing-- beautiful views, right on the beach, eating great food al fresco. An Australian guy manning the grill was brushing BBQ sauce and onions onto burgers, so Tripp and I picked those and got hummus and veggies for an appetizer. I can't explain how rarely I get my favorite food (hummus) over here, so just believe me when I tell you I was pumped. Actually I am pretty sure I tell you when I get it, so you DO know! :D

[I have to be straight with my dear readers and let you know I Google-imaged these photos for this post. I am sure you can tell it's not Tripp behind the camera because he would have done a much better job capturing the beauty of Pui O. Tripp tutored early Thursday morning (on a holiday! he is dedicated!) and I didn't grab the camera. My bad.]
 

 

 

 

The aforementioned mainland shopping happened Friday. Tripp and I went to Shenzhen straight from school. Once again the immigration officers gave Tripp the quadruple passport/his face/computer check, but we made it through China Customs. We grabbed dinner at the Shangri-La sports bar with plenty of time to shop for handbags, electronics, sunglasses, and all those other little souveniers I wanted to pick up before I leave Asia.
 

 

 
Posted by Picasa
I cannot believe how fast this year has flown. It's unreal to think I won't be going back to Shenzhen anytime soon, and that two weeks from today, I will be in Turks and Caicos with my family!

1 comment:

  1. Are those bar stools normal height or did Tripp have to squat down to sit on them?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! We read each one and love hearing from home!